UBC graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and faculty; graduate students and faculty from other institutions visiting UBC for academic reasons.

No, applications are accepted throughout the year. In order to provide sufficient time for processing, we recommend that your completed application, together with all supporting documents, are submitted at least six weeks before your requested move-in date.

Applicants must submit a completed St. John's College application form, a curriculum vitae, and a statement of interest indicating your interest in internationalism and how you can contribute to and benefit from college life. Applicants must also complete the SHHS Year-Round Housing Application.

Generous donors have provided funds to endow Research Travel and Thesis Completion scholarships for St. John’s residents, as well as awards designated for international students. More information can be found here.

Yes. You may send your statement of interest and CV by e-mail. All e-mailed documents should be sent to the Membership Coordinator at sjc.membership@ubc.ca.

Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate children under the age of 19.

No. The College only accommodates graduate student and faculty from other institutions visiting UBC for academic purposes.

The Membership Committee reviews applications approximately once per month. You will be notified of the decision shortly thereafter by email.

The St. John's College room fee chart can be found at the end of the Resident Contract. Room fees are paid through Student Housing. Please note meal plan fees also apply and are paid at St. John's College.

Please contact the Membership Assistant in advance if you wish to book an appointment to view a room.

Single room - approx. 230 sq. feet
Couples room - approx. 480 sq. feet
Post-Doctoral Fellow room - approx. 250 sq. feet

One Bedroom Suite

Single Unit

Single rooms in the College are furnished with a private washroom, large closet with built-in organizers, desk, desk chair, desk lamp, bookcase, end table, easy chair, and twin bed. Click here to view the rooms.

NO. Participation in the meal plan is compulsory as the sharing of meals plays an integral role in building community within the college. Residents may NOT opt out of the meal plan.

YES. A vegetarian entrée is provided at every dinner.

Credit vouchers are issued for missed dinners provided the resident completes a credit voucher request by noon of the previous business day. Residents may use credit vouchers to bring a guest(s) to dinner.  Reservations must be made with Chef by noon the day prior. The meal voucher application is available here.

Residents of the College may purchase parking from SHHS or UBC parking. For more details please visit: http://parking.ubc.ca.

YES. Every room in the College is equipped with a data port.

Two months notice to SHCS is required to terminate your contract when you graduate or complete your program. For example, by submitting the cancelation request online for the move out date of May 31st by March 31st. If you want to submit a cancellation request: log into Housing through this link: https://secure.housing.ubc.ca/  Once you have logged in; scroll over "residents > cancel contract" and follow the steps from there. You will be able to send a written appeal regarding your reason for canceling at the time you submit your cancellation request. (No decision will be made regarding cancellation fees until SHCS have received your cancellation request). Make sure to include the reason why you are cancelling the contract with SHCS. They usually email you and ask you to submit supporting documents.