header image


Who can apply for residential membership?

Graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, visiting scholars and students, UBC faculty members, and faculty members from elsewhere on sabbatical at UBC.
Refer to Membership Term Eligibility.

Are there deadlines for submitting membership applications?

No, applications are accepted throughout the year. In order to provide sufficient time for processing, we recommend that your completed application, together with all supporting documents, are submitted at least six weeks before your requested move-in date.

What is the application procedure?

Applicants must submit a completed application form, a curriculum vitae, and a statement of interest indicating your interest in internationalism and how you can contribute to and benefit from college life. You will be notified when your application is complete.

Are there scholarships?

Generous donors have provided funds to endow Research Travel and Thesis Completion scholarships for St. John’s residents, as well as awards designated for international students. More information can be found here.

Can I e-mail my supporting documents?

Yes. You may send your statement of interest and CV by e-mail. All e-mailed documents should be sent to the Membership Coordinator at sjc.membership@ubc.ca.

Do you have housing for families?

Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate children under the age of 19.

How long can students stay at the College?

Students enrolled in a UBC Master’s or Professional program: 2 years. Students enrolled in a UBC Doctoral program: 4 years. UBC Students may apply for a third / fifth year of residency, but extensions are not guaranteed. Faculty and Post-Doctoral Fellows: 2 years with no extensions. Visiting students and visiting faculty should contact the Membership Coordinator for term eligibility information.

I am a third year undergraduate in another country. Can I apply as a visiting scholar?

No. A visiting scholar is an academic visitor (professor or researcher) visiting a department at UBC for academic purposes.

When is the deadline?

We accept applications all year. Membership Meetings are usually scheduled for the third week of every month. The meetings are held once per month during the fall/winter and twice per month in the summer.

When will I know if I have been accepted?

The Membership Committee reviews applications approximately once per month. You will be notified of the decision shortly thereafter by email.

How much is the monthly rent?

Effective September 1, 2012
The St. John’s College room fee chart can be found at the end of the Resident Contract.  Room fees are paid through Student Housing. Please note meal plan fees also apply and are paid at St. John’s College.

Do potential residents have an opportunity to view the rooms?

Please contact the Membership Assistant in advance if you wish to book an appointment to view a room.

How large are the rooms?

Single room – approx. 230 sq. feet
Couples room – approx. 480 sq. feet
Post-Doctoral Fellow room – approx. 250 sq. feet

One Bedroom Suite


Single Unit

How are the rooms furnished?

Standard rooms in the College are furnished with a private washroom, large closet with built-in organizers, desk, desk chair, desk lamp, bookcase, end table, easy chair, and twin bed. See Life at SJC.

Is the meal plan optional?

NO. Participation in the meal plan is compulsory as the sharing of meals plays an integral role in building community within the college. Residents may NOT opt out of the meal plan.

Is the meal plan for vegetarians?

YES. A vegetarian entrée is provided at every dinner.

What if I am unable to attend a dinner?

Meal vouchers are issued for missed dinners provided the resident completes a credit voucher request by noon of the previous business day. Residents may use accumulated vouchers to bring a guest to dinner at a later date.

Does the College have parking?

The College does not have its own parking lot, but pay parking is available in the West Parkade, directly across Main Mall from the College. For more details please visit:http://www.housing.ubc.ca/services-amenities/parking. All parking at UBC is administered by UBC Parking and Access Control Services; for more information on parking and visitor/guest parking please visit: http://parking.ubc.ca/ or call 604-822-6786.

How do I get a telephone?

Telephone service is connected after you move in by setting up with Shaw, call 310-SHAW.

Is there internet access in the College?

YES. Every room in the College is equipped with a data port.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

St. John's College
2111 Lower Mall,
Vancouver, British Columbia, V6T 1Z4, Canada
Tel: 604.822.8788
Fax: 604.822.8885

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC  | © Copyright The University of British Columbia