UBC Graduate Applicant Preparation Program (GAPP)
July 8-17, 2019
Download the program poster [English | 繁體中文 | 简体中文]
Fill out the online application form (Deadline: M̶a̶r̶c̶h̶ ̶1̶5̶,̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶9̶ extended till positions are filled)
Acquire the essential skills for thriving in graduate school
Are you an upper-level undergraduate student considering graduate studies? Learn the art of applying for graduate school from faculty, staff, and students at a top-ranking North American university while living among successful graduate students from 100+ disciplines and 40+ different countries!
- Receive feedback and advice on your personal statement and curriculum vitae from top UBC professors
- Meet graduate student mentors in your prospective field to get an insider’s view of graduate programs in North America
- Build professional peer networks through living in a graduate student college with residents from 40+ countries
- Experience the cosmopolitanism and multiculturalism of Vancouver, Canada
Fees of CAD 2000 Include
- Accommodation on campus (single room with private bathroom)
- Program and workshop materials
- Breakfast and dinner on weekdays
- Vancouver airport transfer
Fees Do Not Include
- Visa and immigration documentation fees
- Insurance (Travel, Health, etc.)
Note: Completion of this program does not guarantee admission to graduate programs at UBC or any other post-secondary institution. Admission to graduate programs is controlled by that institution’s policies and admission standards.
Professional skill workshops:
- Polishing your presentation skills
- Crafting a strong personal statement and CV
- Developing a research proposal
- Enhancing your cultural competence
- Interviewing skills
- Graduate school: how does it really work from the inside?
Social and networking events:
- Welcome and orientation
- Fireside chat with College Principals
- Breakfast and dinner with residents from 40+ countries
- Day in the life with grad student mentors in your field of study
- Escape room challenge
- Farewell gala
Sample Schedule of a Day
|08:30-09:00||Breakfast with graduate students from 100+ disciplines and 40+ countries|
|09:00-12:00||Workshop led by UBC professors from Ivy League universities:
Graduate school: how does it really work from the inside?
|12:00-14:00||Lunch on your own – hang out with new friends and mentors!|
|14:00-17:00||Day in the life:
Participants will be divided into small groups according to their field of study (e.g. arts, engineering, computer science). Each group will be assigned a graduate student mentor, who will show you what they do on a typical day.
|18:15-19:45||Dinner with graduate students from 100+ disciplines and 40+ countries|
|After 19:45||Free and easy|
Every participant will be assigned to a single room with private bathroom in St. John’s College, which is located in the heart of the UBC campus.
About UBC St. John’s College
St. John’s College (SJC) is one of the two international graduate colleges in the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, Canada. Founded in 1997 by the alumni of the famous St. John’s University in Shanghai, SJC is home to a vibrant multicultural community of 185 top-ranked graduate students from over 45 countries and over 100 different graduate programs. It is a living classroom in which you can develop your personal aspirations, expand your inter-cultural competence and cultural knowledge, and taste graduate student life through your interactions with current graduate students, some of whom will be your facilitators, trainers and mentors. You will also meet the college principals, who both graduated from Ivy League universities.
|Dr Henry Yu (PhD, Princeton University)||Dr Chris Lee (PhD, Brown University)|
|Associate Professor of History||Associate Professor of English|
|Principal of St. John’s College||Associate Principal of St. John’s College|
Online Application Form
Click here if the form does not display properly below.
To ensure all participants can have a meaningful exchange with graduate student mentors, the number of spots is limited and participants will be selected using the following criteria.
- Demonstrated track record of academic excellence
- Motivation to pursue graduate studies
- Leadership experience
- English proficiency, as demonstrated in self-introduction
- Application period: F̶e̶b̶r̶u̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶1̶5̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶M̶a̶r̶c̶h̶ ̶1̶5̶,̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶9̶ deadline extended till positions are filled
- Notification of acceptance: April 15, 2019
- Program fee deadline: May 8, 2019
- Program dates: July 8, 2019 to July 17, 2018
For inquiries, send an email to email@example.com to contact Dr Zoe Lam, Program Coordinator of GAPP. Dr Lam completed her B.A. and M.Phil. at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, and recently received her Ph.D. at the University of British Columbia. As a former international student, she has rich experience in navigating the ups and downs of graduate school and beyond. Her insider’s tips will be integrated into GAPP workshops. Currently she is also a teaching staff at UBC Department of Asian Studies.
Join the world around our table now!
UBC St. John’s College is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) people.